God places choices and challenges before us that involve sin and obedience. He also equips us so that we can choose not to sin and follow through on that. Our humanity alone is not enough to live a spiritually righteous life. We need God the Holy Spirit to lead, guide and empower us so that we can indeed make right,wise spiritual choices.
Jesus said that we love Him because we obey Him. And that’s so very true! There’s more to our relationship with Him than that, but let’s not lose sight of this very important fact. It is our love for Him that motivates us to obey just like it is God’s gift of faith that leads us to do good works. Everything begins and ends with God. In all, we are His willing instruments.
Scripture: John 14:15
15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments.
Father God, you know I love You, Jesus and God the Holy Spirit. I ask you to help me show that love by obeying how you want me to live and love. Help me to live within your parameters and make needed changes in how I think and live. Guide me to examples in Your word, the Bible, that will help me see how others’ lives were changed through obedience, and help me to be that kind of living example to those You send across my path. Help them to see Your love in me and my love for You in all my words and deeds. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Things to Think, Pray and Journal About
1. Have you ever looked at yourself and wondered if you were talking the talk or walking the walk? What’s the difference between the two?
2. What does obedience mean to you? How are obedience and yielding or surrendering to God similar?
3. What’s the connection between obedience and working out your salvation with fear and trembling?
4. How can obedience help you endure to the end so that you can reap the rewards of salvation?
5. What’s the difference between obedience with love and obedience without love?
Copyright 2014, Pastors George and Sharon Billington, All Rights Reserved